Thursday, December 19, 2019

The Call Of Cthulhu

The Call of Cthulhu

I always loved good horror stories especially ones with original monsters. Most people think that worst monsters are the ones who look like us, humans but evilness inside. This evil humans can be captured, imprisoned and killed, shortly can be destroyed with our effort. But how about monsters that we can not captured, can not imprisoned and even if you hit it with a whole ship they won’t die and you are certain that they will hunt you down in the depths of sea and in your dreams. The scariest things are the things that we can’t control, we can’t make any sense of it and things that can not be destroy by humans. So I do not agree with most people and my favourite monster story is "The Call of Cthulhu" written by H.P Lovecraft who is considered one of the best horror writer of all time. The story is about an ancient creature which has an ancient cult, which haunts artist in their dreams, driving them insane or convince them to kill someone or themselves. There are a lot of things that I loved about this story, one of them was the Lovecraft’s ability to describe other worldly creature masterfully and the second one was creating a language for his book. His words influenced many other writers such as Stephen King, and many other artist such as Metallica. He was truly great writer and before reading the story, I suggest everyone to read Lovecraft’s life. His life is as interesting as his works. And here is the last paragraph of his work which I really enjoyed;
" Who knows the end? What has risen may sink, and what has sunk may rise. Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering cities of men. A time will come—but I must not and cannot think! Let me pray that, if I do not survive this manuscript, my executors may put caution before audacity and see that it meets no other eye."

No comments:

Post a Comment